Monday, June 29, 2015

The Shadow Revolution by Clay Griffith and Susan Griffith


*Image and Summary taken from goodreads.com

Book: The Shadow Revolution: Crown and Key
Author: Clay Griffith and Susan Griffith

Summary: They are the realm’s last, best defense against supernatural evil. But they’re going to need a lot more silver.
 
As fog descends, obscuring the gas lamps of Victorian London, werewolves prowl the shadows of back alleys. But they have infiltrated the inner circles of upper-crust society as well. Only a handful of specially gifted practitioners are equipped to battle the beasts. Among them are the roguish Simon Archer, who conceals his powers as a spell-casting scribe behind the smooth veneer of a dashing playboy; his layabout mentor, Nick Barker, who prefers a good pub to thrilling heroics; and the self-possessed alchemist Kate Anstruther, who is equally at home in a ballroom as she is on a battlefield.
 
After a lycanthrope targets Kate’s vulnerable younger sister, the three join forces with fierce Scottish monster-hunter Malcolm MacFarlane—but quickly discover they’re dealing with a threat far greater than anything they ever imagined.

Release Date: 06/02/15
Rating: 2/5

The Shadow Revolution was a title that I got as an ebook through NetGalley, but this in no way influenced my thoughts on this book. 

The Shadow Revolution had an interesting concept and I really looked forward to diving into this book and seeing how these two authors worked it out. However, once I began reading it, I had such a hard time keeping my eyes open. It wasn't for lack of action, the book starts with action and it continues at a fast pace throughout the rest of the book, but rather it just didn't grab me until about the 11th chapter. Even after the actual plot of the book began to pull me in, I still struggled to continue reading. I always felt like I was almost choking on the words. Sentences were filled with extras that weren't really needed to get the point across and stretched it unnecessarily.

I do wish that this book would have given more information about the key that it refers to. I felt like its part in the book came and went much too quickly for my liking, especially with it being a part of the title. In total, the key was probably mentioned in only ten pages and yet we still didn't know much about it by the end of the book. Had there been a bit more about the key and its importance and maybe some research done on it, this book might have gotten a slightly higher rating from me.

That being said, there were somethings about this book that I did enjoy. For one, I really liked the descriptions. There were many creatures and characters being introduced throughout the book and I felt like the authors did a great job describing them for their readers. I also enjoyed the many different relationships shown throughout the book. Each relationship had its own complex nature and details and that really made them feel more life-like and helped me understand where the characters might be coming from. And not only did each relationship have a life-like feel, but the characters did as well. Of all of the characters, I would say that Penny and the young werewolf girl, whose name escapes me at the moment, were my favorites. I loved the young innocence and vivacious nature of the two.

Overall, the plot was interesting and the characters were realistic. However, it all came down to the fact that I just couldn't get into this book and struggled to finish reading it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment